Friday, August 10, 2007

My 2nd Religion



Though most of my life is now consumed by the reading of Church documents, there is one thing that I am willing to drop the Code of Canon Law for: my Philadelphia Eagles. Now, though I do acknowledge that Catholicism is the most important thing in my life, Eagles-ism is a close second. There is almost nothing as thrilling as going to the store for some "Eagles Touchdown Sundae" an hour or two before the game and seeing everyone walking around in their Eagles garb. As we approach the first pre-season game on Monday night @ 7:00, I find myself getting abundantly excited. The end of football season ranks with Good Friday as the most sorrowful day of the whole year. We must spend all summer with the excessively boring baseball (sorry if any of you are fans of it). As is pretty much always the case, we don't even have the feeling of winning the Super Bowl to hold us over for part of off season. It's so difficult because we always get so far and we always get our hopes up, but then, when it's most important, someone screws up. This past year, it was Andy Reid. I try to be a good Catholic and forgive him, but I simply can't. Who seriously chooses to punt the ball on 4th and 15 with, if I recall correctly, 1 minute 24 seconds left to play?! I clearly have not gotten over that yet.

Yet, I never give up hope. As is currently happening, I get extremely excited as pre-season approaches, hoping that this year they just might do it. I do hope, however un-Christ-like it may be of me, that McNabb gets injured during pre-season so we can do well all regular season. We always seem to do best when the big, over-rated cry-baby is sitting on the sidelines with his Campbell's Chunky soup.

My goal for this season: forgive my enemy for punting the ball away on 4th and 15.


All Hail, Brian Westbrook: The Fourth Person of the Trinity


So, pull out your jerseys and (if you're me) special Eagles' Watching Chair and get ready for another season of the most glorious sport EVER!!!

FLY, EAGLES, FLY ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY! FLY, EAGLES, FLY! SCORE A TOUCHDOWN 1 - 2 - 3!!! HIT 'EM LOW, HIT 'EM HIGH, AND WATCH OUR EAGLES FLY! FLY, EAGLES, FLY ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY!!!
E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!!!

No comments: